Head, Neck & Jaw Pain
Pain in your neck, jaw and head can be caused by something commonly known as TMJD. It is a joint disorder that arises when the joint connecting your upper and lower jawbones does not work properly. Symptoms of TMJD include
- Clicking or popping when you open and close your mouth
- Headaches, which often feel like migraines
- Ear aches
- Pressure or pain behind your eyes
- Pain brought on by jawning or opening your mouth widely
- Tenderness in jaw muscles
- Sudden change in the way your upper and lower teeth fit together
There are some common treatment recommendation, which include muscle relaxants, anti-inflammatory medications and often custom made bite splints may help you. These splints are designed to slip over your upper teeth and prevent them from grinding against your lower teeth and are worn during sleep.
If you think you may have TMJD make an appointment with Dr Stephen de Bruyn at North Ryde Dental practice so that a proper diagnosis can be made. We will review your dental history, conduct a clinical examination and take necessary X-rays.